Become your own boss. Set your own hours. Do what you really want to do. All of those are the perks of starting your own business.
These days, entrepreneurs are realizing that its a technology-driven world. Startups that are technology focused are becoming increasingly popular--so popular, in fact, that The Wall Street Journal ranked the top 50 startups of 2012, 29 of which were technology-based.
Here’s a look at five hot technology startups out there:
1. Smartphone repair: Almost everyone has one, and most of these phones have screens that can easily crack. Why not create a business that repairs those cracked screens for less than stores, such as Verizon and U.S. Cellular, charge? There are even classes out there designed to help teach you to fix those cracked screens. Wolfe Street Academy focuses on teaching people how to repair screens, as well as what it takes to start your own business.
2. Technology maintenance: As with cell phones, most of us own at least one laptop, iPad or e-reader. With 14.8 million iPads sold in the first year after it launched in January 2010, according to MediaBriefing Experts’ blog, those devices are starting to age. As a tech-savvy young adult, you can figure out and fix the problem at a cheaper price than the large maintenance stores. There’s always going to be a demand for it, so you’ll never be short on work.
3. Create a convenience website: Creating a unique website that finds a way to help people keep their lives organized is a great way to go. For example, 42Floors.com lists office space rentals and commercial real estate for people to search. Be creative; if it’s something that would make your life easier, it’s probably something that will help others out too.
4. Social media consultant: We’ve grown up around social media, and for most of us, using it is second nature. But there are businesses out there that haven’t realized how much social media marketing can help businesses and create opportunities for them. That’s where you come in. As a social media consultant, you can help existing businesses use sites to such as Twitter and Facebook to grow their clientele and improve their companies.
5. Create phone apps: Think of how many people have smartphones. Then, take a look at your own phone and how many apps you have. Creating popular apps has the potential to bring in a steady, continuous income. Take the time to research what users value in their apps, as well as the earning potential that comes along with each of your ideas before diving in. TechCrunch breaks down the most important things to think about when you’re brainstorming app ideas.